Consulting interview season is coming up. Here are 10 great ways to make sure you don’t stand out:
- Respond to the case description by playing it back verbatim, much like a human voice messaging service. Do not ask questions, clarifying is for the weak.
- Then make sure to utter the timeless classic “Are there any other objectives I should be aware of?”
- After the inevitable “No…there aren’t”, say “Could I take a minute to collect my thoughts?”
- After furiously scribbling down a framework, say “I want to start by analyzing the market” (i.e. the broadest analysis you can possibly do, thereby ensuring you aren’t wrong yet also ensuring you won’t get to a conclusion in time)
- Fish for data. Ensure data requests are neither specific nor given in context e.g. “Do you have any data on competitors?” or “Do you have any data on historical performance?”
- Do all calculations on paper. Even the easy ones.
- Ask the interviewer “what has been your favorite case?”
- Do not engage in conversation. Proceed straight to your next question “are there any topics you specialize in?”…
- …or try “how does project staffing work?”
- Finally if you are so inclined, ask “Do you see yourself working here for a long time?” (a question that can only yield a ‘yes’ or an ‘awkward yes’)
You’re ready!! Go out there and be the same as everyone else¹
1. You know I’m not serious right?? Be yourself, not everybody else. Don’t be a robot. And most importantly, have a conversation and enjoy it 🙂